The Rainbow Flag Award
URPotential is proud to be delivering The Rainbow Flag Award to all schools in Blackpool, Wyre and Fylde.
The Rainbow Flag Award is a national quality assurance framework for primary schools, secondary schools, SEND schools and alternative provisions. The award focuses on positive LGBT+, (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, plus other related identities), inclusion and visibility. The Rainbow Flag Award encourages a whole organisation approach to LGBT+ inclusion, as well as developing strategies to effectively challenge and combat LGBTphobic bullying.
Committing your school to the Rainbow Flag Award is a commitment to improve the lives of all the young people that you work with, including those that are LGBT+, those from LGBT+ families, and LGBT+ staff members.
How does it work?
Through a year-long process of self-assessment and ongoing monitoring and feedback, schools and colleges have access to a variety of training, resources and interventions, helping them meet set standards in each of the following areas:
What does it cost and what is the commitment?
Primary and other small schools: £795
Secondary schools: £995
Independent schools: £1295
This is for a one-year membership during which you will be supported to complete the award. You will then hold the award for an additional two years (at no extra cost) before being invited to renew it. Membership includes:
- Two places (one for a member of your Senior Leadership Team) on starter training.
- Access to the Members’ Area of the Rainbow Flag Award website where you can access your Rainbow Flag Award Handbook, a guide to ‘Developing Effective LGBT+ Inclusive Policies’, plus some other starter resources.
- Access to evidence reviews during the year, where you will receive detailed and constructive feedback on evidence you submit for each of the six Rainbow Flag Award sections.
- Access to ‘The Rainbow Flag Award Classroom’ – LGBT+ inclusive lessons in all curriculum areas for key stages 1 to 4.
- Ongoing advice and support via telephone and/or email during the year.
- 20% off the cost of any additional training, services and resources from URPotential.
- 20% off the cost of resources produced by our Rainbow Flag Award partner organisations – see here.
What are the benefits?
Schools and colleges that take part in the Rainbow Flag Award will be supported to meet:
- Their legal requirements to ensure positive LGBT+ inclusion in schools/colleges, and to be effective in tackling LGBTphobic bullying;
- The Ofsted requirement for them to be teaching positively about LGBT+ lives;
- The requirements of the Relationships and Sex Education (RSE) curriculum in secondary schools, and Relationships Education in primary schools;
- Their moral requirement to meet the needs of all students, including those that are LGBT+.
For more information about participating in The Rainbow Flag Award, please email email@example.com or call us on 01253 344398.
While the Rainbow Flag Award is a national framework, delivery is by LGBT+ organisations working with LGBT+ communities in your local area. URPotential has a 10 year history of working with LGBT+ young people in Blackpool, Wyre and Fylde. This means that the content of any training will be up to date and relevant, with the needs and experiences of LGBT+ young people from across these areas at the heart of delivery. Any monies generated from this scheme will help fund our vital work with LGBT+ young people locally.
Not based in the Fylde Coast ? Find your local Rainbow Flag Award delivery organisation here.